Who the course is aimed at
The course is targeted at nurses & care staff engaged in the moving and handling of people. Staff must be trained in safe moving and handling techniques and informed of the dangers associated with unsafe moving and handling.
The course will give the participants the knowledge to
- Understand Manual Handling Legislation
- Carry out people moving risk assessments
- Use people moving equipment and how to use the various aids to ensure safe movement
- Implement the principles of moving and handling
- Understand how to protect yourself, your colleagues, the patient.
- Describe, and apply to your work, the 11 principles of safe Moving & Handling
- Introduction to Manual Handling
- Anatomy of the spine and muscular system & mechanisms of injury
- Factors affecting manual handling
- Practical session
This section is a practical session and deals with:
- The principles of safe patient /manual handling
- Practical demonstration of safe lifts
- The importance of communication
- Use of equipment including hoists and moving aids
- Participants will demonstrate safe patient handling
Course duration: 1 Day
On successful assessment delegates will receive a Certificate in People Moving.